Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Wilma

Wilma was my very best friend in the world. Fourty Three years ago we met. We were both shy but curious little girls. Wilma with her bouncing red curls. Her eyes always so bright and full of life, her smile! Her freckles...the cutest, most beautiful feature when she was little!

I don't remember much about our first meeting, but I was told we were both hiding behind our dads.

She came from a picturesque town called Agazzi nestled in a valley within rolling hills and mountains in BC. It wasn't till years later when I realized just how beautiful Agazzi is, with that green grass, and the black and white dairy cows that frolicked there.

Her father was a pastor, and as such, they lived in Michigan for awhile, then to Agazzi, and then to Calgary. My father was a Deacon in the church, so he wanted to welcome the family. I was just excited to have met my new friend!

Wilma and I had many good times together. We rode our bikes to school, we went to each others houses all the time, and we had many sleep-overs. I remember us playing dressup and house, at my house. We had our dollies and barbies who, of course, were our babies. We would pretend to visit other people. Our house was set up perfectly, so each bedroom door was a friend's house. We could also dress up in fancy things...shoes and purses, and of course the green eye shadow and red lipstick I "borrowed" from my mother. We had so much fun, and those shoes were so big on our feet! We were ladies after all, and we had places to go!

Sometimes we would make grass and dandelion stew.

We raised a lot of butterflies too! We never realized that they would change like that...so cool!

I remember, at her house the raking of leaves, I remember their cat...I remember so many things!

I remember the birthday parties! I remember the theater productions in their basement...I remember the forts!
I remember the piano...

I remember Tante Ina's amazing cooking! I remeber how crazy her parents were (and still are) about each other. Mostly I remember how at home I felt there. They were an extension of my own family!

I often felt lonely growing up. I didn't always fit well. I discoved through therapy that I was just scared! With Wilma I felt like I had a sister...someone I could feel comfortable with!

we grew up and each of us got married and had children. Alida is close in age to my son Chris. I remember her coming over when Lisa was born.

Time got by us so quickly, and with us living in two separate cities: me in Edmonton, and Wilma in Calgary...we lost touch for awhile.

I don't know what it is about phones...they are my phobia!
We seldom called, and life got in the way.

It wasn't untill later in her life that we reconnected...on facebook too, haha!
I'm just broken up that we missed put on so much time! We saw each other when I was in Calgary to visit my parents, and I saw one of her beautiful houses, but it wasn't the same!

I miss my friend, and realize how much I missed in our adulthood. She was a spectacular woman and friend. She'll always be in my heart, we'll always be facebook friends, haha!

I will always treasure her wisdom, her strength, even in the face of death, her amazing positive attitude...her advise about not worrying about things.

She really was, and still is our Mighty Mouse! Heaven has the most beautul
and precious angels within, and she sits with God.

Happy 50th my wonderful faithful friend! There will be a party for you in Heaven and on earth! We'll be celabrating you, as will the fellow angels...

Love you always,
Marj

No comments:

Post a Comment